Friday, March 6, 2009

Who's watching the Watchmen?

Posted in by Laughing Soul | Edit
Hello everyone


Last night, if you read my previous post, I went to go see the midnight showing of Watchmen. I went with a lot of my friends from the movie after recording an episode of the podcast. I apologize for now writing a review right away as soon as I got home but it was 3:30am when I got there and I had to be up and heading into work in 4 hours so I definitely needed to get some sleep. But I promised you I would do a review so here it is.

“ Who’s watching the Watchmen?” What can I say about this movie? This movie is based off of a graphic novel published by DC Comics and written by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons back in 1986. (Three years after I was born by the way). I just recently discovered this in the summer of last year when I was talking with a friend at work about a few comics I was getting into and he asked if I had read the Watchmen yet. He explained that it was a graphic novel that changed everything. It wasn’t just about superheroes doing good around the city and bringing criminals to justice. It was packed full of philosophy and theories on the human condition and life in general. This was a pivotal piece and they were turning it into a movie. So what could a guy do but go out pick it up and give it a shot.

I fell in love with it. The story kept me interested and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that it wasn’t full of quirky characters and witty superheroesqe remarks. So to say in the least I became really excited when I found out that this was coming out in the following year.

The movie is dead on with the graphic novel (at least in my remembrance of it, it has been a while since I read it again). Aside from cutting some things out that were not 100% pertinent to the story line, you could match shot for shot with frame for frame in the novel. I remember certain blocks in the novel that made an impression on me and it had even more of an effect when I saw it up on the big screen. Even down to the last detail of signs on fences and graffiti on the walls. I was really impressed.


The cast of Characters is as follows: (side by side photos Included)

Dr. Manhattan- Billy Crudup

Silk Spectre- Malin Akerman

The Comedian- Jeffery Dean Morgan

Rorschach- Jackie Earle Haley

Night Owl- Patrick Wilson

Ozymandias- Matthew Goode



They could not have done a better job of casting. If you compare the movie faces to the drawings of Dave Gibbons, you will think that Gibbons illustrations were based off of these faces. I know that a lot of makeup was used to help out with the similarities but damn they did a bang up job of staying true to the Novel. Not only did they find faces that matched the characters but they definitely got the job done with the actors to portray them. Every one of them did an amazing performance and brought the watchmen to life. You could relate to them, and you felt like these people were real at one point or another.

Now I know that I keep referring back to the Graphic Novel. But that’s because its what I have to go off of. Do you need to read the Novel to see the movie? No. You will not miss a thing if you just go and see the movie. You will have a different appreciation for the film because of it but it is in no way a bad thing! I walked into the film knowing the story and the ending and what was going to happen when, and I was still in awe and amazed. I came away with an appreciation of it compared to the novel and it even helped me understand the story more. So seeing the movie after reading the novel only made each other better. But for the non reader you will get a full experience and see the whole thing as a whole! I do highly suggest you getting the novel as well just so you can understand this movie, THAT much more.



The Final Cut

I give this movie 5 out of 5 Damn it Megs! Why do I do this? Because this movie is amazing that’s why. This movie shows what superheroes in the real world might have to go through. Instead of some fantastical stories, where everyone gets their justice you get something more real. You see real people trying to do good by fighting crime and the troubles and tribulations of that fact, externally and externally. Don't worry you will definitely get your kicks with violence and even a little nudity. Its the fact that its not what the movie is centered on is another reason why this movie is so great! You will definately enjoy this. Go out and see it.

2 Comments


  1. Anonymous

    Great review.
    Saw this with the wife Sunday night, and I really did appreciate it more because I had read the Novel.

    March 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM

  2. Anonymous

    I have also read the graphic novel and I thought the movie wasn't as amazing as everyone else did. The things they did well they did REALLY well, but the pacing was TERRRIBLE. I know it's not all supposed to be action-packed (the graphic novel wasn't either), but there were parts where it d-r-a-g-g-e-d.

    Another big gripe I had about the movie was how they portrayed the relationship and subsequent breakup of Laurie and John. In the comic, you get a sense of how she truly, desperately loves him and how heartbreaking it is for her to realize he will never be what she needs and she must therefore walk away. In the movie, you get an inkling that she loves him and is upset, but not nearly to the extent in the graphic novel. When I read the story, my heart broke with hers. When I watched the movie, I might as well have been John - disinterested.

    I had a rough time with Matthew Goode as Ozymandias. He seems a bit mousy for the role - a la David Hyde Pierce. Blegh. And they didn't explain Bubastis, so I had to laugh when the guy behind me said "What the f**k is with Battle Cat?"

    All in all, the film was well done in many respects and lacked in many others. This is not a movie I will rent or buy to watch again, but I am glad that I got to see it on the big screen once. I'm also glad that they are making comic book movies that aren't your standard superhero fare.

    No, I didn't love it. But it's a step in the right direction.

    March 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Leave a Comment