Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Wrestler Review

Posted in by Laughing Soul | Edit
I did something that I havent done in a very long time. I saw two movies in two days. Yesterday I saw Underworld : Rise of the Lycans with my friend Mike. After writing my review, I fell asleep at his place and we decided that when we woke up we would go see The Wrestler in the morning when we got up. So thats exatly what we did.
And now my review!

Wow. This movie was Fantastic. It was definitely not what I was expecting. But to tell you the truth, waking into this movie, I really didnt know what to expect. I just heard that it was going to be very good and pardon my German but it fucking was! I dont even know where to start describing this film for you. From the looks of the poster you can just think of a typical flick where a wrestler fights his way from the bottom to the top.
Well, it is kinda what happend except vice versa. This Wrestler was at the top and we join him at the end of his time and the struggles he goes through. You kind of get a look behind the scenes of some of the wrestling shows that are out there which is kind of cool. But it more focuses on the life of this wrestler named Randy " The Ram" Robinson, played by Mickey Rourke and what his life is like after falling from grace. The lack of money, weekend wrestling jobs, and just trying to get by and do what he loves, when he gets hit with a heart attack and is told that he cannot go to the ring anymore. He is forced to change his life and ends up being alone just trying to make his life right.
He spends some of his time courting the lovely Cassidy played by Marisa Tomei. Cassidy is a stripper at a local joint, called Cheeks, (enter boyish giggle here). They go back and fourth and you really get a sense of the relationship between these two people.
In The Rams desperate attempt of easing his loneliness he goes and tries to rebuild a relationship with his daughter Stephanie Robinson played by Evan Rachel Wood.

The performances done by Rourke and Tomei are beautifully done. Rourke plays The Ram with a good heart and an ache to just be loved and accepted. I fell in love with The Ram right away in memories of my old wrestling heroes, and how he is towards other people, just a loving man with a good soul trying to do the best that he can. As for Tomei Props to her for playing a stripper and strutting her stuff infront of the camera. (takes guts) Her performance was incredible as well showing her two different personalities on and off the stripper stage, and her feelings for The Ram and the relationship they share. Both of them deserve the oscar noms they received.

This movie is a beautifully done story. It will make you laugh and oddly enough it will make you cry too. I can almost guarantee you that if you see this movie you will come out feeling gratefull for what you have. A beautiful movie.

Tts really hard not to go into this and not reveal everything that happens so I am just giving you a sense of what the film is like and how it comes across.

I am giving this movie 8 out of 10 Body slams!!
Go See this movie!! It is limited release so its not out everywhere, but it has got to be playing somewhere.
IF youve seen the movie, let me know what you think.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment